Reciprocity Agreement With Croatia

The DRAFT LA LO therefore provides that, on 29 November 2001, the Republic of Croatia concluded with the European Community and its Member States the Stabilization and Association Agreement (SOA), which came into force on 1 February 2005. The purchaser can obtain from the competent administrative authority (responsible for urban planning and construction) the certificate indicating whether or not a property is an agricultural area indicating that a particular piece of land is inside or outside the perimeter of a construction zone. The competent land registry may establish a certificate indicating whether or not a property is located in the protected area, since the relevant land registry keeps records of the legal provisions relating to real estate. These certificates should, in our view, include data on whether the contract was signed as an agricultural area or whether a particular property was in the protected area. Article 113, paragraphs 1 and 2, of the NPA stipulates that title deeds may be acquired in protected areas under the conditions set out in this and other laws and that foreign corporations or individuals may not acquire securities in protected areas unless otherwise provided by an international agreement. The law of 1 February 2009 amending property rights and other real rights [1] introduced certain amendments concerning foreigners and legal persons from the Member States of the European Union (hereafter referred to as the EU) who acquire real estate securities in the Republic of Croatia under the provisions of the Stabilisation and Association Agreement between the Republic of Croatia and the European Community [2]. The real estate that can be purchased relates to houses, dwellings and land, but not agricultural land that can only be purchased by Croatian citizens, but not by nationals of countries where reciprocity exists. The same applies to EU nationals with regard to agricultural land. In this regard, relevant information should be provided on whether or not a particular property is a statement by a local authority responsible for urban planning and land use (metropolitan or regional planning) that the property is located within the scope of a construction zone provided for by the urban plans.